[Python-Dev] draft 3.1 release schedule

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Mar 5 22:45:21 CET 2009

> So what is the solution?

In the specific case, I don't know. I recall that somebody offered to
pick up the change. I really didn't mean to suggest that the patch
will remain unnoticed - it was just a warning that it *might* remain
unnoticed.

The more general issue is that of patches being unreviewed for a long
time, whether they have educational background or some other background
(say, cross-compilation, HP-UX support, etc).

>From time to time, people ask what they can do push a change into Python
that they really think is important. I once offered that people who
want a patch in Python really badly should review 10 other patches in
return, up to the point where they make a recommendation about the fate
of the patches. I was then talked into accepting just 5 such patches.
I have since withdrawn this offer, because
a) I was the only one making that offer in public, and
b) I was sometimes not really able to respond in a timely manner
   when the offer was invoked, because of overload.

So, for the more general issue, I don't have a solution, either.

Regards,
Martin