[Python-Dev] How do I get commit access?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Mar 5 16:48:54 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 01:08, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> I'd like to jump in and vouch for Chris. I've known him for many years
>> and while we haven't worked closely I expect he'd be a valuable
>> contributor. So +1 from me for giving Chris commit privileges for core
>> Python.
>>

> Thanks :-) I can't promise how *much* time I'll be able to give, but when I
> do have itches, I'll certainly be scratching them...
>
>  (Chris, I assume you'll go through an apprentice phase where
>> you'll be letting another committer review your changes before you
>> commit them yourself.
>>

> How does Python work w.r.t. to dev? I'm used to the branch/merge pattern:
>
> - create branch, say chris.withers-issue4308
> - do work on that branch
> - request code review
> - merge branch to appropriate release branches and trunk
> - delete branch
>
> If this isn't the pattern Python uses, why isn't it? ;-)

Because Python started out on CVS and then moved to svn and just never
picked up the branching religion. But there is nothing wrong with creating a
branch in the sandbox and doing work there; just isn't common practice for
anything that isn't going to be a long term project.

>  Rietveld at codereview.appspot.com should be
>> helpful for getting your code reviewed. (Just use upload.py instead of
>> the Create Issue form. :-)
>>

> OK, although I'd prefer the branch/merge pattern, less toolage required...

Right, but that still doesn't preclude the usefulness of being able to leave
comments in Rietveld for a reviewer.

-Brett