[Python-Dev] How do I get commit access?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 10:08:02 CET 2009

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'd like to jump in and vouch for Chris. I've known him for many years
> and while we haven't worked closely I expect he'd be a valuable
> contributor. So +1 from me for giving Chris commit privileges for core
> Python.

Thanks :-) I can't promise how *much* time I'll be able to give, but
when I do have itches, I'll certainly be scratching them...

> (Chris, I assume you'll go through an apprentice phase where
> you'll be letting another committer review your changes before you
> commit them yourself.

How does Python work w.r.t. to dev? I'm used to the branch/merge pattern:

- create branch, say chris.withers-issue4308
- do work on that branch
- request code review
- merge branch to appropriate release branches and trunk
- delete branch

If this isn't the pattern Python uses, why isn't it? ;-)

> Rietveld at codereview.appspot.com should be
> helpful for getting your code reviewed. (Just use upload.py instead of
> the Create Issue form. :-)

OK, although I'd prefer the branch/merge pattern, less toolage required...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk