[Python-Dev] draft 3.1 release schedule

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 22:42:20 CET 2009

Paul Moore wrote:
> 2009/2/27 Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>:
>> 2009/2/27 Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> schrieb:
>>> I should have a PEP (and implementation) ready for alpha 2 to address
>>> the current discrepancy between contextlib.nested and actual nested with
>>> statements:
>>> http://bugs.python.org/issue5251
>>>
>>> If you do add a reference to that bug report to the release PEP, mark
>>> fixing it as a maybe though - with the associated PEP not even written
>>> yet, I obviously still have some work to do to get the semantic change
>>> approved by Guido and the rest of python-dev.
>> Ok. I've added it.
>
> Is it worth getting simplegeneric exposed in 3.1
> (http://bugs.python.org/issue5135)? If it's going to be in 2.7, I'd
> like to see it hit 3.1. The patch is against trunk (for 2.7) at the
> moment, I'm not sure what the process would be for forward-porting it
> (do I generate a new patch against the py3k branch, or should it be
> applied to trunk and merged in?)

As much as I'd like to get a simple generic implementation into
functools, the lack of support for ABCs still bothers me (despite my
last post about that on the tracker item). I'd be a -0 on it going in as
is, but if someone can figure out a clever way of supporting ABCs
without completing killing the invocation speed for generics, that would
go up to a +1.

(The current difficulty of this may actually reflect a more significant
limitation on the available metadata for ABCs in PEP 3119: it is easy to
ask "is this specific type an example of this ABC?", but difficult to
ask "which ABCs is this type as example of?". For actual inheritance,
the __mro__ attribute means that both questions are easy to answer, but
I'm not aware of any corresponding way of answering the latter question
for ABCs)

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. I just unassigned myself from that tracker item - I'm going to have
my hands full working on the proposed change to the with statement.