[Python-Dev] PEP 376

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 30 21:49:18 CEST 2009

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Paul Moore<p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - The terminology and focus feels setuptools-inspired (my apologies if
>> that's not the case). Expect pushback from setuptools haters...
>
> setuptools implemented *needed* features, like a way for developers to browse
> installed packages.

That doesn't imply that setuptools itself is needed. I can browse
installed packages with dpkg -l, or "add-and-remove programs".

> Now if the fact that we want to introduce the good ideas of setuptools
> into distutils,
> (problems Phillip resolved) will make people push it back *even* they
> are good idead, needed features,
>  is something we need to fight against.

Assuming "we" have consensus before we start fighting against others.

FWIW, I abstain from commenting on PEP 376. I don't need it, but it
doesn't seem to hurt having it, especially since "egg-info" already
managed to sneak in.

> I hope it'll make it one day. If not, I don't understand the goal of
> the "Python Language Summit'

Just be patient. Both Python 2.7 and 3.2 are still many months ahead,
so there is no urgency (AFAICT).

Regards,
Martin