[Python-Dev] PEP 376

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:28:43 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Paul Moore<p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> - The terminology and focus feels setuptools-inspired (my apologies if
> that's not the case). Expect pushback from setuptools haters...

setuptools implemented *needed* features, like a way for developers to browse
installed packages.

We said during the summit at Pycon that we wanted this feature in
Distutils, (Guido said so)

So I worked in PEP 376 to introduce them.

Now if the fact that we want to introduce the good ideas of setuptools
into distutils,
(problems Phillip resolved) will make people push it back *even* they
are good idead, needed features,
 is something we need to fight against.

> - It's quite dense for the casual reader not familiar with the
> terminology. I've never managed to read the whole thing through,
> personally.

I'll try to add a definitions section,

> I'd suggest two things:
> - Add a section to the PEP describing the purely end user impact of the changes
> - Post that to python-list, with a note pointing to the PEP for people
> who care about distutils details

Ok.

> If that gets no feedback, you've done as much as you can.

I hope it'll make it one day. If not, I don't understand the goal of
the "Python Language Summit'

> Paul.
>
> [1] I'd actually like it if the PEP defined an uninstall command -
> something like "python -m distutils.uninstall packagename". It can be
> as minimalist as you like, but I'd like to see it present.

it's already there:

http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0376/#adding-an-uninstall-function

Regards
Tarek