[Python-Dev] Status of 2.7 and 3.2

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 04:28:45 CEST 2009

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> How about we just continue to improve both branches, doing forward or
> backports as appropriate.  No need to develop a policy of crippling
> one branch on the theory that it will make the other seem more
> attractive.
>
> Besides, if 2.7 and 3.2 get released within a few months of each
> other, any  inversion of incentives will be temporary and fleeting.
> Most likely people's decisions on switching to 3.x will be dominated
> by other factors such as the availability of third-party modules or
> other dependencies.
>
> IIRC, Benjamin's current merge procedures flow from the trunk to the
> py3k branch.  Probably, it is best to continue with that practice
> lest we muck-up his merge/block entries.

Agreed.

>From Terry's later response, I think the main confusion here was whether
or not 2.7 was going to be getting released hot on the heels of 3.1, and
the answer to that is "No, 2.7 won't be released until 18-24 months have
passed since the release of 2.6, as with previous 2.x releases".

Releasing 3.2 around the same time as 2.7 to allow for easier migration
from the latest 2.x release to the latest 3.x release will likely make
sense, but doesn't actually need to be a 100% definite plan at this point.

Cheers,
Nick.