[Python-Dev] Status of 2.7 and 3.2

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Mon Jun 8 00:23:49 CEST 2009

How about we just continue to improve both branches, doing forward or backports as appropriate.  No need to develop a policy of crippling one branch on the theory that it will make the other seem more attractive.

Besides, if 2.7 and 3.2 get released within a few months of each other, any  inversion of incentives will be temporary and fleeting.  Most likely people's decisions on switching to 3.x will be dominated by other factors such as the availability of third-party modules or other dependencies.

IIRC, Benjamin's current merge procedures flow from the trunk to the py3k branch.  Probably, it is best to continue with that practice lest we muck-up his merge/block entries.

Raymond