[Python-Dev] Roundup improvements use-cases

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jun 5 02:06:07 CEST 2009

Stefan Seefeld <seefeld at sympatico.ca> writes:

> This set of use cases ('C') is what I have most difficulties with. It
> clearly is about 'VCS <-> Roundup integration', but it's in the other
> direction. And thus, this doesn't seem to concern Roundup itself, or
> does it ? Presumably, everything needed already exists. We now have an
> XMLRPC interface, so it is possible to write (remote) Roundup clients. I
> think writing such a 'Roundup client library' would be useful, but I
> think somewhat out of scope with respect to this GSoC project.

Note that there are several attempts in the wild at “BTS database as
versioned data in the VCS repository”, allowing the tightest
integration between the two and ensuring that VCS commits and BTS
updates are inherently tied to each other.

An article at Linux Weekly News <URL:http://lwn.net/Articles/281849/>
describes these systems. It might be instructive for those looking to
tightly integrate VCS and BTS to seek inspiration from these designs.

--
 \         “The userbase for strong cryptography declines by half with |
  `\      every additional keystroke or mouseclick required to make it |