[Python-Dev] Roundup improvements use-cases

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Jun 5 01:52:39 CEST 2009

Stefan Seefeld <seefeld at sympatico.ca> writes:

> While in theory [implementing a hook for closing bugs via VCS commit
> messages] is all up for customization, I think it would be nice to set
> up some conventions to guide users in how to do this (the 'token
> grammar', mostly), just for convenience.

A reference implementation that I think works quite well is the system
used by the Debian project for detecting, from the changelog entries,
which bugs to close when a particular release of a package is uploaded.

    <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-bugfix>

Note also that this system doesn't just close the bug, it makrs it as
fixed in a specific version of the package: the package version that
included the close request in its changelog entry.

It would be valuable if analogous behaviour could occur with Roundup,
which requires allowing for it in the specification of the workflow.

> This is a very interesting use case, driving us at the core of the
> 'VCS integration'. We need to customize a schema to provide a notion
> for 'repository' and 'branch', and also for 'patch'. Then we need to
> somehow endow the patch type with knowledge of what it means to be
> 'applied' to a branch, etc. (more on this below).

All this would apply to the above workflow for “mark that bug as fixed
by this specific branch”.

(good sigmonster, have a cookie)

--
 \          “That's all very good in practice, but how does it work in |
  `\                                             *theory*?” —anonymous |