[Python-Dev] Mercurial and linefeeds

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Thu Jun 4 16:12:05 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:49 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> The above statement seems like a really odd design choice, with the
> potential for causing considerable developer coordination headaches.
>
> Any Mercurial boffins want to talk about how this works in practice?

I'm guessing that's just because it uses Mercurial's built-in
configuration file chain (.hg/hgrc, ~/.hgrc and /etc/mercurial/hgrc).
Those aren't transmitted with repositories because they can contain
potentially security-sensitive information (like triggers for
executing interesting hooks and information on what users to trust).

It would certainly be possible to write a modified win32text-like
extension that takes its cues from a versioned file (like the .hgtags
and .hgsigs files currently supported). I'm not sure why the original
author didn't go that way, though.

Cheers,

Dirkjan