[Python-Dev] Mercurial and linefeeds

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu Jun 4 15:49:46 CEST 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 at 17:30, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:02:53AM -0400, Jason R. Coombs wrote:
>> It seems that within the hg repository, everything has been converted to LF for line endings.  I suspect this is because HG provides no integrated support for line-ending conversions and because the hg to svn bridge is probably running on a Unix OS.
>
> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/FAQ#FAQ.2BAC8-TechnicalDetails.What_about_Windows_line_endings_vs._Unix_line_endings.3F

Linked from that is:

     http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/Win32TextExtension

which says:

     "The filter specification can however not be managed by the
     repository..."

(I'm not clear what is being filtered on, but it looks like it might
be the _content_ of the files.)

The above statement seems like a really odd design choice, with the
potential for causing considerable developer coordination headaches.

Any Mercurial boffins want to talk about how this works in practice?

--David