[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

Case Vanhorsen casevh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 20:16:15 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 10:34 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>> We could remove it, but then what we have wouldn't really be a release
>>> candidate anymore, so the release would get delayed.
>>
>> How long do release candidates soak in the field before being accepted?
>
> For this release, the release schedule is defined in PEP 375
>
>> I'm curious if an exception could be made in this case, given that you
>> have admitted that ipaddr is not an important library.
>
> This would be need to be decided by the release manager. However, given
> that Guido has already pronounced on this issue, Benjamin is unlikely to
> change anything.
>
>> You seem comfortable with these quirks, but then you're not planning
>> to write software with this library. Developers who do intend to write
>> meaningful network applications do seem concerned, yet we're ignored.
>
> I don't hear a public outcry - only a single complainer.

I normally just lurk on python-dev, but I will comment on this thread.
I manage several large IP address spaces and I've written my own IP
address tools in the past.

The comments on the thread motivated me to look at the ipaddr module.
I fully agree with Clay's comments. I would not use the module as it
stands.

I apologize for lurking too much and not commenting earlier.

casevh