[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Mon Jun 1 21:11:45 CEST 2009

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 at 11:32, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> Does anyone here know if Clay's concern about subnets vs netmasks in accurate
> and whether it affects the usability of the module?

I can't speak to usability of the module, not having looked at it yet,
but as far as I know from 10+ years of experience programming Cisco and
other routers, a host address can always also be considered as a subnet
consisting of one address.  The netmask is 255.255.255.255, and is called
a "host mask".  That said, address+hostmask is not always the way you
_think_ about an individual address; it depends on the context.

FWIW I hate dealing with non-subnet-aligned IP address ranges whenever
they come up.  But it is true that they do come up.

--David