[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jun 1 20:45:01 CEST 2009

I haven't read the bug, but given the extensive real-life use that
ipaddr.py has seen at Google before inclusion into the stdlib, I think
"deep conceptual flaws" must be an overstatement. There may be real
differences of opinion about the politically correct way to view
subnets and netmasks, but I don't doubt that the module as it stands
is usable enough to keep it in the stdlib. Nothing's perfect.

I think we should just stick to "sorry, too late, try again for 3.2".
We've done that with plenty of more important flaws that were
discovered on the verge of a release, and I don't recall ever
regretting it. We can always add more features to the module in 3.2.

--Guido