[Python-Dev] microsoft dlls apparently don't support data. implications: PyAPI functions required to access data across modules.

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Mon Jan 26 03:08:13 CET 2009

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  i'm sorry to hear that you believe my messages to be sometimes
> offensive.  i'm sorry that you are annoyed.  i'm sorry that i am
> learning about things and that i believe that people would like to
> help cooperate on the development of python as a free software
> project, by helping point me in the right directions. i'm sorry that i
> am unable to get things perfect the first time, so that i have to ask
> people for help and advice, and i'm sorry that you are annoyed by my
> asking.

Nice job with the fake-apology-that-is-actually-an-attack maneuver there.

I believe the main complaint is that you clearly have not exercised
enough due diligence to find the answers yourself before asking on the
list. There are a number of examples in this very thread of you replying
to yourself because you just figured out something new that you didn't
in the previous email. You should not consider this list an open forum
for stream-of-thought style emails. Pointed, well-explored questions are
the only sort that will be useful to you (in getting people to read your
questions and answer them) and the community (in not having an enormous
amount of low-SNR emails to sort through). These threads with obviously
disprovable "facts" are not useful to anyone at-large, whether they are
(dubiously) educational to you or not -- it would be more educational
for you to explore your assumption and find out it's wrong all on your own.

>> If you want to propose a new feature then python-ideas is the right
>> mailing list.
>
> thank you for informing me of that - i was not aware of that list: i
> believed that the python-dev mailing list would be the location for
> discussion of development and ports of python.

As far as I can tell, you have replied to your own threads more than
anyone else on the mailing list, and you should interpret that as a
general lack of interest from the developers reading this list. I think
it's been made clear that nobody is opposed to having an all-free build
of Python for Win32, however it is not the focus of anyone's interest
here because it's "free enough" for our purposes. I believe Martin wrote
you a reply that explained that quite well.

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com
scodial at cs.indiana.edu