[Python-Dev] Closing outdated Mac issues

Daniel (ajax) Diniz ajaksu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 16:49:11 CET 2009

Hi, Ronald,

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 15 Feb, 2009, at 21:13, Daniel (ajax) Diniz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the discussion of a feature request for MacPython[1], the OP (hhas) said:
>>
>>   As of Python 2.6/3.0, all Mac-specific modules are deprecated/eliminated
>>   from the standard library and there are no longer any plans to submit
>>   appscript for possible inclusion. This issue should be rejected and
>>   closed.
[...]
>> So, if someone could reassure / clarify the rules for closing these in
>> general and/or take a quick look at specific issues, that would be a
>> great help.
>
> The Carbon bindings in 2.6 are deprecated and I don't intend to work on fixing them, and would advise against trying to fix issues with these modules unless you're personally affected by them.

OK.

>> [1] http://bugs.python.org/issue916013
>
> Should have been closed ages ago.

[snip]
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue776533 Carbon.Snd module SPB constructor shadowed
>
> Closed as fixed (after reapplying the patch on the trunk)
[...]
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue779285 Carbon Event ReceiveNextEvent
>
> Left this open for now, I have to have a better look at the actual code to check if it is worthwhile to keep this issue open.

Wow, thanks a lot for taking care of all these issues! If you need a
hand to close, assign or just update any of them, I'd be glad to help.
I'll put any closing of these on hold until you're done, I have no
hurry :)

>> http://bugs.python.org/issue779153 bgen requires Universal Headers,
>> not OS X dev headers
>
> Should be closed, I'm not planning on recreating the Carbon bindings.

OK, I'll add a 'will close unless someone who needs this comes
forward' note on this one, but will leave it open for a while as it
might help in wrapping code.

>> http://bugs.python.org/issue602291 Bgen should learn about booleans
>
> This one is not related to OSX, appearently at least some people actually use Bgen for creating wrapper code.

Thanks, will update it and leave open.

>> http://bugs.python.org/issue775321 plistlib error handling
>>
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue985064 plistlib crashes too easily on bad files
>
> Plistlib is in the generic standard library in 2.6 and 3.0. I haven't checked yet if these issues are relevant at this point in time.

They are not, I'll work on tests/patches for them.

Thanks for handling these and for the valuable feedback, Ronald!

Daniel