[Python-Dev] Closing outdated Mac issues

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Feb 17 13:39:02 CET 2009

On 15 Feb, 2009, at 21:13, Daniel (ajax) Diniz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the discussion of a feature request for MacPython[1], the OP
> (hhas) said:
>
>    As of Python 2.6/3.0, all Mac-specific modules are deprecated/
> eliminated
>    from the standard library and there are no longer any plans to
> submit
>    appscript for possible inclusion. This issue should be rejected and
>    closed.
>
> If that is the current state of Mac modules, there are no less than 17
> issues* that should be closed, 4 bug reports** that might be kept open
> and 4 mixed-cases*** that might be obsolete/irrelevant.
>
> Besides amounting to 1% of open issues, these can divert efforts to
> bogus issues: I've submitted a patch for one of the mixed-cases (bug +
> feature request), but now don't think it was worth it.
>
> So, if someone could reassure / clarify the rules for closing these in
> general and/or take a quick look at specific issues, that would be a
> great help.

The Carbon bindings in 2.6 are deprecated and I don't intend to work
on fixing them, and would advise against trying to fix issues with
these modules unless you're personally affected by them.

> Issue lists below.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel
>
> [1] http://bugs.python.org/issue916013

Should have been closed ages ago.

> * Feature requests and implementation polishing issues:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue706585 Expose FinderInfo in FSCatalogInfo

Closed as won't fix.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue706592 Carbon.File.FSSpec should accept
> non-existing pathnames

Closed as won't fix.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue776533 Carbon.Snd module SPB constructor
> shadowed

Closed as fixed (after reapplying the patch on the trunk)

> http://bugs.python.org/issue779285 Carbon Event ReceiveNextEvent

Left this open for now, I have to have a better look at the actual
code to check if it is worthwhile to keep this issue open.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue806149 aetools.TalkTo methods can be
> obscured

Closed as won't fix

> http://bugs.python.org/issue822005 Carbon.CarbonEvt.ReceiveNextEvent
> args wrong

Left this open for now, seems to be related to issue779285.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue852150 Can't send Apple Events without
> WindowServer connection

Closed as won't fix.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue853656 Carbon.CF.CFURLRef should be
> easier to create

Closed as won't fix.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue869649 Quicktime missing funcitonality

Closed as won't fix, even the C-level API is deprecated.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue878560 Add a console window for Carbon
> MacPython applets

Closed as won't fix.

[... Skip other issues ... : I'll have a look at these later on ]

> ** Probably out of  date, irrelevant or both:
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue779153 bgen requires Universal Headers,
> not OS X dev headers

Should be closed, I'm not planning on recreating the Carbon bindings.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue602291 Bgen should learn about booleans

This one is not related to OSX, appearently at least some people
actually use Bgen for creating wrapper code.

> http://bugs.python.org/issue775321 plistlib error handling
>
> http://bugs.python.org/issue985064 plistlib crashes too easily on
> bad files

Plistlib is in the generic standard library in 2.6 and 3.0. I haven't
checked yet if these issues are relevant at this point in time.

Ronald