[Python-Dev] The fate of 3.0.*

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Feb 14 10:00:10 CET 2009

Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> Are we going to keep developing the 3.0 maintenance branch in
> expectation of releasing 3.0.2 sometime or will we just focus our
> efforts on 3.1?

Traditionally, we had one last bugfix release after then next feature
release. So I think we should release 3.0.2 right after 3.1 gets
releases, and then close the branch for bug fixes.

As a consequence, we should continue to backport bug fixes to the
3.0 maintenance branch.

Another issue is security releases. For regular releases, I'm still
proposing that we provide security fixes up to five (5) years after
the original release, which would be until 2014. We need to decide
whether to do that for 3.0 as well, and, if not, announce in the
final release that it is really final.

Regards,
Martin