[Python-Dev] Bug tracker house cleaning.

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Feb 11 06:08:22 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:
> ISTM, that when closing duplicate bug reports, both should reference one
> another so that the combined threads don't get lost.

This suggest a feature request (which Google's internal tracker has):
when a bug is closed as Duplicate, indeed both bugs are linked
together, and the people subscribed to both lists are CC'ed on the
email, *and* the CC lists are merged (into the bug that remains open).

> Also, assigning bugs to people who haven't asked to handle them doesn't seem
> like it is actually cleaning-up anything.  If something is assigned to
> someone, I usually assume they intend to work on it at some point.  In
> contrast, unassigned means that no one is currently handling it.

Agreed for people who haven't asked. Some folks specifically said
"please assign bugs of certain types to me". That implies to me a
promise to at least do triage and unassign if they know they won't
handle it -- so in that case (and that case only) it seems fine. There
are also a few bug categories that auto-assign -- this implies the
same to me.