[Python-Dev] 'warnings' module changes still breaking Twisted, still looking for a fix

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Sep 5 01:01:56 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:39 PM,  <glyph at divmod.com> wrote:
> On 10:18 pm, musiccomposition at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> That's why catch_warning keeps track of the warnings filter too, so
>> you can call warnings.simplefilter("always") within the context
>> manager and the filter state will be restored.
>
> Thanks for the pointer - this is interesting.  I misunderstood the way the
> warnings filter worked.  It looks like this combination of features may in
> fact be all we need.  It would be nice if application code could otherwise
> "officially" keep track of the warnings filter (my understanding is that
> 'filters', despite the public-looking name, is private, since it is absent
> from the documentation?) but that doesn't sound like a release blocker.

If you are after an API to return an opaque object that represents the
filter and be able to use that opaque object to reset the filter at a
later point (along with a matching reset function), then create an
issue for 2.7/3.1 and assign it to me as I was thinking about doing
that myself and would love to get Twisted's input on it.

_Brett