[Python-Dev] My patches

Calvin Spealman ironfroggy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 16:23:47 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2008, at 01:02 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> >If Python would be more reactive, more developer will be attracted. The
> >communication is very important in an open source project. I contributed to
> >many many projects, and I can say that Python is already one of the most
> >reactive project! But it can be better ;-)
>
> I agree!  How can we improve our development process, given that we're an all
> volunteer organization?

On that note, are more volunteers needed? Are there any capacities in
which extra sets of hands could make help these improvements or would
it just be more overhead and managing people and figuring out what to
do?

Moderately related note, I'm going to start the python-dev list
summaries again (I have been the worst summary maintainer *ever*) and
I'd like to set up the process as a community effort. That is, I've
got some code I'm going to launch (probably at appengine) where edits
can be made to the summaries by anyone, to be reviewed and taken in,
before submitting the final summaries every two weeks. This should
make keeping them going more likely, because no one person will need
to find the time. It will also make the summaries more accurate if
people actually involved in the discussions can fix any mistakes or
repair omissions. I think the summaries are important, and one of many
puzzle pieces to keeping people informed, which is all part of moving
the development process along. Of course, this is all assuming no one
objects to that plan.