[Python-Dev] Community buildbots and Python release quality metrics

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jun 26 22:05:24 CEST 2008

> BuildBot has two ways to let you run your code on all builders before you
> commit it to trunk.  You can force a build on a branch or you can try a
> build with a patch.  I don't know if these options are enabled on Python's
> buildmaster.  If they are, then if you want, you can use them to make sure
> your code works on all platforms before you put it into trunk, where it may
> cause problems for someone else.

Even if that's possible, it adds a burden. As likely not all people
agree that such a procedure would be a good thing, it's necessary that
somebody establishes a policy. Guido has already indicated that he is
not interested in further policies; Barry (the canonical other person
to set policies) has indicated in the past that he would like such a
policy, but deems it unrealistic at this point. He gives other
procedural changes higher priority, so that realistically, such a policy
might not be established within the next two years.

Regards,
Martin