[Python-Dev] Community buildbots and Python release quality metrics

Jeff Hall hall.jeff at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 21:48:10 CEST 2008

To me (and I'm an outsider not a direct developer), it's Python developers
responsibility to handle the Python problems and the Python build bots. The
community build bots are the responsibility of their authors. If JP is
handling the Twisted one then great. It's got a gatekeeper. If no one is
handling the Django build bot that's not the Python Dev Team's problem but
is a problem on the Django side and someone involved in that should be
tasked with monitoring.

Having said all that, I agree that the community bots ought to at least be
looked at. If I check in a patch in and I notice that a community bot went
from green to red then I probably should double check my code. The problem
is that, as you said, the community bots haven't been well maintained...
They've been red for awhile. So asking the developers to then go do the leg
work to find the original error, fix it and then back check everything
between then and now that might have ALSO caused a problem is alot of
effort.

It's not the Bank's responsibility to balance my check book. They give me
the tools to do it and then I have to check. A similar principle applies
here, I believe.