[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r64424 - in python/trunk:Include/object.h Lib/test/test_sys.py Misc/NEWSObjects/intobject.c Objects/longobject.c Objects/typeobject.cPython/bltinmodule.c

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:40:49 CEST 2008

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> There's a part of this thread that says basically, "fine, but stick it
> somewhere else."  To me, it doesn't make any sense at all to create a
> parallel set of functions in the math module. To convert a number to
> binary, it makes sense to use the bin() function.  I don't understand
> this notion that bin() is a sacred cow of intergerdom and would
> philosophically corrupt if it handled floats also.

It isn't the extension to something other than integers that bothers me,
it's the extension to floats in a way that can't be easily supported for
other types such as decimal.Decimal and fractions.Fraction.

Well, that and the beta deadline (we have to draw the line somewhere, or
we'll be stuck in an eternal spiral of "just one more feature")

Cheers,
Nick.