[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r64424 - in python/trunk:Include/object.h Lib/test/test_sys.py Misc/NEWSObjects/intobject.c Objects/longobject.c Objects/typeobject.cPython/bltinmodule.c

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Jun 26 16:12:17 CEST 2008

> Would you mind reading the rest of *this* thread on python-dev and
> respond to the discussion about the design of the feature?

The last four entries were from this thread. I don't know what else you want me to do. I can update the patch as people make
suggestions. That's pretty much it.

I recapped the earlier discussion from the tracker so the participants in this thread would be aware of the requests that were made
there and why.  I originally wanted a different output format but it evolved to the one that's there now to meet the various needs
of the posters.  This is important background for someone just joining the thread and thinking a different output format would be
better.

There's a part of this thread that says basically, "fine, but stick it somewhere else."  To me, it doesn't make any sense at all to
create a parallel set of functions in the math module. To convert a number to binary, it makes sense to use the bin() function.  I
don't understand this notion that bin() is a sacred cow of intergerdom and would philosophically corrupt if it handled floats also.

Raymond