[Python-Dev] OFF-TOPIC-BUT-IMPORTANT: End of free internet model by 2012 ?

Daniel Bonekeeper thehazard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:25:21 CEST 2008

Hi everybody on the list !

Sorry about the off-topic message, but giving the nature of the
message and the nature of the list (after all, everybody here uses
Internet or develops for web in some way), I decided to post this here
and see what you guys think about it.

http://ipower.ning.com/netneutrality

To quote the article (so you know if it interests you or not):

"Bell Canada and TELUS (formerly owned by Verizon) employees
officially confirm that by 2012 ISP's all over the globe will reduce
Internet access to a TV-like subscription model, only offering access
to a small standard amount of commercial sites and require extra fees
for every other site you visit. These 'other' sites would then lose
all their exposure and eventually shut down, resulting in what could
be seen as the end of the Internet."

It is important to note that, although the article mentions Bell
Canada, it is not that hard to imagine that this will eventually be
expanded to all big ISPs.

Thanks and again, I apologize for this off-topic message !

Daniel

--
What this world needs is a good five-dollar plasma weapon.