[Python-Dev] Incorrect documentation of the raw_input built-in function

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Tue Jan 29 09:26:51 CET 2008

-On [20080129 00:13], Greg Ewing (greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz) wrote:
>What document did this come from? This sounds more like it's
>talking about what should be described in various sections of
>a man page, not what should be written to the various streams
>by a program.

It did, it's from the C. Rationale for Shell and Utilities (XCU).

>Otherwise,
>
> > a message indicating that the
>> utility had insufficient memory in which to operate would not be described.
>
>sounds like an out-of-memory message shouldn't be written to
>stderr, which I'm fairly sure is not the case!

It's only talking about what will be described in the various sections of
the utilities' documentation, yes. But it was the closest I could find to
*anything* explicitly mentioning stdin, stdout, or stderr and their
function.

I could find nothing with regard to prompting or other such descriptions.

So, don't count on POSIX to mandate anything on this (as far as I can tell).

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
We have met the enemy and they are ours...