[Python-Dev] Incorrect documentation of the raw_input built-in function

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Jan 29 00:08:04 CET 2008

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:

> I cannot find anything explicitly in favour of or against this in POSIX. The
> stuff quoted below is what I could find.
>
> "3.105 Command Language Interpreter
>
> STDERR
>
> This section does not describe error messages that refer to incorrect
> operation of the utility.

What document did this come from? This sounds more like it's
talking about what should be described in various sections of
a man page, not what should be written to the various streams
by a program.

Otherwise,

 > a message indicating that the
> utility had insufficient memory in which to operate would not be described.

sounds like an out-of-memory message shouldn't be written to
stderr, which I'm fairly sure is not the case!

--
Greg