[Python-Dev] Organization of ABC modules

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 04:40:15 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I note that at least for built-in types there will be the naming
> convention that concrete implementation classes are all lowercase,
> like int, float, list, namedtuple, defaultdict, and so on, while the
> ABCs all have a Capitalized[Words] name: Hashable, Number, Real,
> MutableMapping, etc.

That's a very good point. I also suspect that for any actual 2.6/3.0
code base I end up working with there will only be a very limited number
of abstract base classes that get tested for via isinstance - so the red
flag for isinstance checks would be types I didn't already recognise as
being abstract base classes.

Cheers,
Nick.