[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r60283 - in python/trunk: Include/longintrepr.h Include/longobject.h Include/unicodeobject.h Misc/NEWS Modules/_fileio.c Objects/longobject.c Objects/unicodeobject.c setup.py

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat Jan 26 10:16:55 CET 2008

[christian.heimes]
>> Backport of several functions from Python 3.0 to 2.6 including PyUnicode_FromString, PyUnicode_Format and PyLong_From/AsSsize_t.
>> The functions are partly required for the backport of the bytearray type and _fileio module. They should also make it easier to
>> port C to 3.0.

Are you planning to backport bytearrays?  I thought we had clearly decided to *not* backport any of the text/bytes model so that the
Py2.6 string/unicode model remained pure.

Guido proposed a couple of harmless aliases for annotation purposes (to help the 2-to-3 tool do the right thing) and that was it.
Your reply was:

       > Ah, you like to keep it simple. The aliases are easily to implement.
       > Give me twenty minutes to implement it and write some unit tests.

How did we get from two simple aliases to plans for backporting major chucks of the new model?  I'm not seeing any limits on
Py3.0-->Py2.6 contamination.

Raymond