[Python-Dev] why is mmap a builtin module on windows?

Ralf Schmitt schmir at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:56:30 CET 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 10:12 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> > On Windows lots of modules are linked into the python main dll. The file
> > PC/config.c contains a list of all modules. From the point of the
> > maintainer it's much easier to link the modules into the main dll
> > instead of creating standalone dlls. I also suspect that it's much
> > faster because relocation is slow (see PC/dllbase_nt.txt). Martin or
> > Mark can give you a better answer.
>
> Actually, that *is* the current answer. That plus a remark
> "Contributions are welcome, as long as they
> a) come with a clear, objective policy on what should go into
> pythonxy.dll and what not, and

I'd say anything that is needed by "import sys, os" is a candidate for being
included.
Currently even the _csv module is a builtin module on windows. But then I
don't know how much slower importing from a .pyd file is..

> b) automate all aspects of adding modules that should not go
> into pythonxy.dll according to the policy."

i.e. create visual studio project files for those modules? and make them
built automatically?

Regards,
- Ralf