[Python-Dev] why is mmap a builtin module on windows?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jan 23 22:12:31 CET 2008

> On Windows lots of modules are linked into the python main dll. The file
> PC/config.c contains a list of all modules. From the point of the
> maintainer it's much easier to link the modules into the main dll
> instead of creating standalone dlls. I also suspect that it's much
> faster because relocation is slow (see PC/dllbase_nt.txt). Martin or
> Mark can give you a better answer.

Actually, that *is* the current answer. That plus a remark
"Contributions are welcome, as long as they
a) come with a clear, objective policy on what should go into
pythonxy.dll and what not, and
b) automate all aspects of adding modules that should not go
into pythonxy.dll according to the policy."

Regards,
Martin