[Python-Dev] why is mmap a builtin module on windows?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Wed Jan 23 09:35:50 CET 2008

Ralf Schmitt wrote:
>> Why do you want to overwrite the existing module instead of using a
>> different name like ralfmmap?
>>
>> import ralfmmap as mmap
>> sys.modules]'mmap'] = mmap
>>

> I thought about that (ugly hack) too. I would have to change the imports at
> a lot of places (and revert the changes when we switch to python 2.6).
> (whereas on Unix I would only have to do install the new mmap module).

It's not an ugly hack, it's a well known feature. Add you don't have to
change a lot of places, too. It's sufficient to add the alias at the
entry point of your application (the script that starts your app). Once
the alias sys.modules]'mmap'] = ralfmmap is set, every import mmap gets
your ralfmmap.

Christian