[Python-Dev] Trap SIGSEGV and SIGFPE

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Dec 11 14:37:39 CET 2008

<skip <at> pobox.com> writes:

> I understand.  The guy has a problem today for which there is a solution
> that I posted.  If he's "been meaning to look into the problem" and he's
> posting to python-dev I presume he knows at least a little about running gdb
> if he's operating in a Unix environment.  These two gdb commands
>
>     source .gdbinit
>     pystack
>
> shouldn't be too much of a barrier.

Well, but sometimes you don't have a core file (because you didn't run ulimit
before launching Python and the crash wasn't expected; if the crash is very
erratic, by the time you've fixed the system limits, you don't manage to
reproduce it anymore, or it takes hours because it's at the end of a very long
workload). Sometimes you don't have the gdbinit file around (for example,
Mandriva doesn't ship it with any Python-related package). Sometimes you are
under Windows.

etc. :-)