[Python-Dev] Python 2.4.4/2.4.5 test_pty failure on Solaris 10

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 06:19:02 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 11:02 AM,  <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

>  I know this is old stuff, but...
>
>  I want to update our Python 2.4 installation at work from 2.4.2 to 2.4.5
>  (the latest 2.4 source release).  I get a test failure for test_pty, an
>  extra ^M at the end of one line.  I don't get a failure in the 2.4.2
>  installation, but the 2.4.4 and 2.4.5 both fail this test.  Looking at the
>  code in test_pty.py, it appears to me that r43570 fixed things for OSF/1 and
>  IRIX which both do weird things with output while breaking things for any
>  other platform by suppressing the \r\n -> \n mapping which used to be
>  performed for all platforms.  So, for Solaris, that mapping doesn't happen
>  and the actual and expected outputs don't agree.

This was probably me.  Perhaps a fix wasn't backported?  I notice the
2.5 version of the test changed from the 2.4 version and does a
str.replace rather than changing the last chars of the string.  You
can try using the 2.5 version and my guess is it will work (ie, the
test will pass).  The change is in normalize_output.