[Python-Dev] Python 2.4.4/2.4.5 test_pty failure on Solaris 10

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Apr 12 20:02:02 CEST 2008

I know this is old stuff, but...

I want to update our Python 2.4 installation at work from 2.4.2 to 2.4.5
(the latest 2.4 source release).  I get a test failure for test_pty, an
extra ^M at the end of one line.  I don't get a failure in the 2.4.2
installation, but the 2.4.4 and 2.4.5 both fail this test.  Looking at the
code in test_pty.py, it appears to me that r43570 fixed things for OSF/1 and
IRIX which both do weird things with output while breaking things for any
other platform by suppressing the \r\n -> \n mapping which used to be
performed for all platforms.  So, for Solaris, that mapping doesn't happen
and the actual and expected outputs don't agree.

I'm not suggesting this needs to be fixed, I'm just looking for confirmation
of my hypothesis if someone has a moment to compare the two revisions:

    http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release24-maint/Lib/test/test_pty.py?rev=43570&r1=42233&r2=43570

Thanks,

Skip