[Python-Dev] re-using the Python setup.py file?

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Tue Sep 11 23:43:45 CEST 2007

On 9/11/07, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:

> I see that the setup.py at the top level of the Python distribution
> does a lot of things wrt sensing compiler options, etc, that I'd like
> to re-use in my SSL setup.py distribution file.  I'm a bit curious
> as to why this framework isn't in the distutils package?

I suspect a combo of (a) nobody has done it yet and (b) many of the things
done there felt too hackish to the person writing them.  Regardless of (b)
I'd place my money on (a).

In maintaining external bsddb and hashlib module distributions for use on
older pythons I have so far just pasted code as appropriate to/from the
python setup.py and the separate distribution ones.  Not ideal but trivial
since once settled upon setup didn't change much.