[Python-Dev] Python developers are in demand

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Oct 12 20:21:20 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I keep getting regular requests from people looking for Python coders
> (and this is in addition to Google asking me to hand over my contacts
>  :-) . This is good news because it suggests Python is on the uptake
> (always good to know). At the same time it is disturbing because
> apparently there aren't enough Python programmers out there. (At least
> none of them looking for work.) What's up with that?

I know at least one Python developer who is looking for a Python job -
me. :]

The problem may be related to the fact that Python is rarely teached at
school or university. I know no school or university in Germany that is
teaching Python. It's mostly Pascal, Basic or C derivates at school and
C/C++, Java or nowadays C# at university. Some courses of studies even
teach PHP or Flash!
On the other hand Python is gaining big momentum in science. A friend of
mine who works at CERN once told me that they use Python as a glue and
front end language for their problems.

less teaching + growing demand = lack of available developers

> I wonder if we should start maintaining a list of Python developers
> for hire somewhere on python.org, beyond the existing Jobs page. Is
> anyone interested in organizing this?

There is definitely an interest in having a list of available
developers. What would it take to organize a list? How do we avoid to
create yet another XING (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XING), LinkedIn
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinkedIn) or SourceForge Marketplace
clone? Could we collaborate with one or multiple major players in the
job market?

Christian