[Python-Dev] Python developers are in demand

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Oct 12 19:43:53 CEST 2007

> I keep getting regular requests from people looking for Python coders
> (and this is in addition to Google asking me to hand over my contacts
> :-). This is good news because it suggests Python is on the uptake
> (always good to know).

Yeah, I have noticed as well.  I have seen an increase in random
emails from people looking for Python developers.

> At the same time it is disturbing because
> apparently there aren't enough Python programmers out there. (At least
> none of them looking for work.) What's up with that?

It's still not taught in schools.  I still rarely see a new grad
student in my lab who has used Python before they meet me.  And even
after I give a Python tutorial to the lab and people realize it's a
great language, they wait until a project comes up where they need to
start from scratch to use it.  Unfortunately that project never comes
up.

So I would guess the only people becoming new Python programmers are
either the self-motivated people who are curious about the language or
people whose job requires it.

> I wonder if we should start maintaining a list of Python developers
> for hire somewhere on python.org, beyond the existing Jobs page. Is
> anyone interested in organizing this?

You thinking like contractors or anyone out of work?

-Brett