[Python-Dev] UTF8 in the PEP branch

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 12 11:15:14 CEST 2007

>   # Date: $Date: 2005-12-07 20:46:30 -0300 (mié, 07 dic 2005) $
>
> A *lot* of files failed this way. I started to fix them (-*- coding
> -*- line at the start), but then I thought that maybe *I* was doing
> something wrong, because it's strange that nobody noticed this
> before...
>
> So, shall I continue fixing these? Or what I'm doing wrong here?

I believe it's subversion that is doing something wrong. In my copy
of the file, I get

# Contact: goodger at users.sourceforge.net
# Revision: $Revision: 4152 $
# Date: $Date: 2005-12-08 00:46:30 +0100 (Do, 08 Dez 2005) $

which isn't any better, but happens to be ASCII (the only non-ASCII
dates that I may get are during March - März).

IMO, it's a flaw in subversion that it translates the date (or even
provides a textual form of the date in the first place). It shouldn't
do that, or at least provide a way to get the date expanded according
to the "C" locale.

As a work-around, you can update your sources with

LANG=C svn up

which will prevent Date from being translated to your language.

Regards,
Martin

P.S. Notice that subversion also prints the time in local time, rather
than UTC, so our copies even disagree on the day-of-month on which
this revision was committed. So the proper command line would be

LANG=C TZ=GMT svn up