[Python-Dev] I vote to reject: Adding timeout to socket.py and httplib.py.

Alan Kennedy python-dev at alan.kennedy.name
Wed Mar 21 16:42:56 CET 2007

[Josiah]
> In regards to 'there is no way to
> create a blocking socket this way', Alan is off his rocker.

I am not off my rocker.

And I never wrote the words you place in quotes (except in relation to
an earlier defect in the patch where the timeout=None value was
ignored).

What I clearly stated is that the function as is doesn't cater for
*non-blocking* sockets. I also clearly stated that I have no problem
with the fact that it doesn't handle non-blocking sockets, but this
either

A: Needs to be enforced in the function by disallowing zero timeouts
B: Needs to be recorded in the documentation

The use cases for the function are limited: that's fine. But either
explicitly limit them or document those limits.

> The function is needed, and the implementation is sufficient for its
> intended uses.

When all the defects are fixed, it will be sufficient.

Alan.