[Python-Dev] SoC AST generation question

Jay Parlar parlar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 22:23:47 CET 2007

I'm considering applying to be a student in this year's SoC, and the
AST code generation in particular looks interesting to me (listed
here: http://wiki.python.org/moin/CodingProjectIdeas/PythonCore).

I was wondering a few things:

1) Who would most likely mentor this project?
2) I've never worked in the core before (but have been using Python as
my primary language for about 6 years), so I'm wondering if the
potential mentor thinks it'd even be feasible for me to jump at a
project like this without prior knowledge.

I'm interested in this project for two reasons. The first is that I'm
still trying to pick my PhD thesis, and I'm leaning in the direction
of automated code generation for embedded systems. I feel like working
on this project would at least push me one way or another in terms of
picking. I've done a major code generation tool before, but it was for
a problem domain I was already an "expert" in, so I didn't develop any
generic methods.

Also, I've been wanting to contribute to Python core for awhile now,
and just haven't had the opportunity to get my feet wet with the code.

Thanks,
Jay P.