[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 04:19:58 CET 2007

On 3/15/07, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> The fact remains that those who have used the existing functionality as
> it is implemented and documented will, of this change isn't reverted,
> have to make a gratuitous change to their currently working programs.

The worst part is, if they are relying on that specific behavior and have
to rely on the new specific behavior, and want to support old and new
versions of Python, they are potentially left with some very unattractive
options -- check the Python version to figure out how splitext works, or
just roll their own and stop calling splitext entirely, because its behavior
is not consistent across versions.

> Because some immoderate language has been used in this thread I would
> like to underline that these remarks are not directed personally at
> Martin, for whom I have the utmost respect as a developer, but at the
> lack of process that allows circumstances like this to arise.

I second this sentiment.

Regards,
Pat