[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Mar 16 03:54:59 CET 2007

Michael Urman wrote:
> On 3/15/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> If we both agree that the old behavior was erroneous, then I
>> cannot understand why you want to see the patch reverted.
>
> I think at least part of the disagreement is over the classification
> of the earlier behavior as "erroneous". Both unexpected and
> undesirable have certainly been common classifications, but as not
> everyone agrees, and a very visible example in Windows Explorer
> disagree, it's hard to settle on this behavior being simply incorrect.
> Thus it's a value judgement. Unlike other value judgements reflected
> in Misc/NEWS, there are no similar APIs with which we can compare
> behavior and match to increase consistency.

The fact remains that those who have used the existing functionality as
it is implemented and documented will, of this change isn't reverted,
have to make a gratuitous change to their currently working programs.

I'm not really too concerned with whether the behavior is "erroneous" -
that is indeed in the realm of value judgment. I'm concerned about the
impression the user community will get as they see such changes made to
the language with no more apparent justification than the whim of an
individual developer.

Because some immoderate language has been used in this thread I would
like to underline that these remarks are not directed personally at
Martin, for whom I have the utmost respect as a developer, but at the
lack of process that allows circumstances like this to arise.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden