[Python-Dev] Proposal to revert r54204 (splitext change)

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Thu Mar 15 01:12:37 CET 2007

On 14 Mar, 05:08 pm, pje at telecommunity.com wrote:
>In addition to the prior behavior being explicitly documented in the
>function docstrings, r54204 shows that it was also *tested* as behaving
>that way by test_macpath, test_ntpath, and test_posixpath.  When
>combined
>with the explicit docstrings, this must be considered incontrovertible
>proof that the previous behavior was either explicitly intended, or at
>the
>very least a known, expected, and *accepted* behavior.

I (obviously, I think) agree with all of that.
>This backwards-incompatible change is therefore contrary to policy and
>should be reverted, pending a proper transition plan for the change
>(such
>as introduction of an alternative API and deprecation of the existing
>one.)

I hope that this is true, but *is* this "policy" documented as required
somewhere yet?  I think it should be reverted regardless, and such a
policy instated if one does not exist, but it is my understanding at
this point that it is an informal consensus rather than a policy.