[Python-Dev] Finding the python library binaries (and docs)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 6 23:12:43 CET 2007

David Abrahams schrieb:
> on Tue Mar 06 2007, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin-AT-v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> David Abrahams schrieb:
>>> I'm trying to find the Python library binaries associated with a given
>>> python executable.
>> This really isn't a python-dev question; please use python-list
>> (news:comp.lang.python) instead.
>
> I wrestled with the right list for this one and determined that only
> the python devs would know the answers.

That absolutely cannot be the case. Python is open source, you have
*everything* you need to answer this question.

>>>   2. I'd like to know if there's an officially correct procedure for
>>>      finding the library binaries associated with a Python executable.
>> Yes (although I'm not sure what a "library binary" is).
>
> I gave one example in my post: libpython25.a

Ah, ok. If you want to know where that is installed (officially),
check out what "make install" does. Also, ask yourself whether you know
a Python module that should know how to find it. distutils and freeze
come to mind.

HTH,
Martin