[Python-Dev] Finding the python library binaries (and docs)

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Tue Mar 6 22:56:36 CET 2007

on Tue Mar 06 2007, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin-AT-v.loewis.de> wrote:
> David Abrahams schrieb:
>> I'm trying to find the Python library binaries associated with a given
>> python executable.
>
> This really isn't a python-dev question; please use python-list
> (news:comp.lang.python) instead.

I wrestled with the right list for this one and determined that only
the python devs would know the answers.  Also I intended to propose
that the information I'm looking for be added to sys as a standard
attribute.

> Please take a look at sys.path.

No help at all; that is the module search path (i.e. for .py files),
not for the Python library binaries.

>>   1. I think the documentation for sys and configure both need some
>>      updating
>
> Would you like to work on a patch? This information can be readily
> obtained from the Python source code.

I'll consider it, once we get the original intention cleared up.
There are lots of ways to interpret what the code actually does, and
documentation that merely transcribes the code's logic will not be
very useful.

>>   2. I'd like to know if there's an officially correct procedure for
>>      finding the library binaries associated with a Python executable.
>
> Yes (although I'm not sure what a "library binary" is).

I gave one example in my post: libpython25.a

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting