[Python-Dev] Encouraging developers

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Tue Mar 6 02:53:07 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:50:46PM -0000, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> is indicative of a failure of the community.  A good deal of the
> discussion here in recent months has either been highly speculative, or
> only tangentially related to Python's development, which is ostensibly
> its topic.  We shouldn't really be talking about PR or deployment or any
> issues which aren't bug reports or patches here.

I don't recall any PR threads in python-dev, but do agree that
language speculations usually lead to long threads that are very
boring.  It would be nice to focus more on concrete development
questions, and usually we do manage to focus when there's an impending
release.

One problem may be that there *aren't* maintainers for various
subsystems; various people have contributed bugfixes and patches for,
say, urllib, but I have no idea what single person I would go to for a
problem.

Is it worth creating a wiki page listing people and the modules they're
responsible for?  Or does something like this already exist?

--amk