[Python-Dev] whitespace normalization

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 20:50:26 CEST 2007

[Neal Norwitz]
> The way to fix the files is to run:  python ./Tools/scripts/reindent.py -r Lib

I apply it to everything in the checkout.  That is, I run reindent.py
from the root of my sandbox, and use "." instead of "Lib".  The goal
is that every .py file (not just under Lib/) that eventually shows up
in a release use whitespace consistently.

> At least that's what I did.  Hopefully I didn't screw anything up. :-)

reindent.py has never been blamed for a "legitimate" screwup.  On rare
occasions it has broken tests, but only when the code mysteriously
relied on significant trailing whitespace in the .py file.  Such
invisible dependence is considered (by me :-)) to be a bug in the
code, not in reindent.py.

The other no-brainer is to run Tools/scripts/svneol.py regularly.
That finds text files that don't have the svn:eol-style property set,
and sets it.